About Us

Our school sets high expectations of all children, whilst encouraging them to be self-motivated and take pride in their school. We foster an environment that is caring, nurturing and challenging, to allow students to feel valued, and take ownership of their learning. We have worked hard on creating innovative, flexible learning spaces and places for our children. We have recently upgraded some of our learning spaces. We have built a nature play corner with its own mud kitchen set under a picturesque pepper tree. Our nature play space has a ‘rock river,’ fire cooking area and new sandpit. Our Library has had a facelift with a newly rejuvenated Zen Den where our students can relax, choose a book and read together. We have upgraded our main gardens with lovely new native plants which has allowed our grounds to feel even more loved. Over in our Playcentre area we have a new cubby house, mud kitchen and gardens to learn and grow in. We also have new signage around our school to help visitors to learn where everything is. We have built a wonderful garden area with chickens, edible vegetable gardens and our outdoor classroom is currently in the building stage. We are very proud of what we have worked on and our students develop respect and pride through the planning of these spaces and places.

Blanchetown Primary School offers immaculate facilities including tennis courts, large oval, exercise circuit and varied play environments that support exploration. Our school is well equipped to support our students through extensive sporting equipment, IT devices, and resource centre.

Celebrating Our 150 Year Anniversary

Blanchetown Primary School was established in 1867/68 with Lucy J. Nield as the teacher.  There were 20 students – 14 boys and 6 girls.  She received an annual salary of $40.  Blanchetown primary School was the only school on the River Murray between Wellington and Wentworth at the time.  The Adelaide Observer of Saturday 4th of January 1868 reports;

“The very marked progress that the children have made for the very short time the school has been opened evinces great care and a rare facility for imparting instruction on the part of the master and mistress. This school as yet has received no aid from the Board of Education.  The mere return of barren numbers cannot test the value to the rising generations of such institution’s as this”.

The school operated on this site till 1946 when it was moved to prefabricated buildings on the present grounds and then moved to the present building in 1981

 

Department for Education logo
SA Gov logo
Creative Commons logo
Branding SA logo